Where the Mountain Meets the Moon | Grace Lin | Middle Grade Fiction
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
In the valley of Fruitless Mountain, a young girl named Minli lives in a ramshackle hut with her parents. In the evenings, her father regales her with old folktales of the Jade Dragon and the Old Man on the Moon, who knows the answers to all life's questions. Inspired by these stories, Minli sets off on an extraordinary journey to find the Old Man on the Moon to ask him how she can change her family's fortune. She encounters an assorted cast of characters and magical creatures along the way, including a dragon who accompanies her on her quest for the ultimate answer.
Grace Lin, author of the beloved Year of the Dog and Year of the Rat returns with a wondrous story of adventure, faith, and friendship. A fantasy crossed with Chinese folklore, Where the Mountain Meets the Moon is a timeless story reminiscent of The Wizard of Oz and Kelly Barnhill's The Girl Who Drank the Moon. Her beautiful illustrations, printed in full-color, accompany the text throughout. Once again, she has created a charming, engaging book for young readers.
🥇 AWARDS AND ACCOLADES
- Newberry Honor Book 2010
- E. B. White Read Aloud Award Honor Book 2010
- Parent’s Choice Award Gold Medal Winner 2009
- Young Reader’s Choice Award Nominee for Grades 4 through 6, 2012
- California Young Reader Nominee for Intermediate Grades 2013
- Sunshine State Young Reader Award Nominee 2012
- Rebecca Caudill Young Readers Award Book Nominee for grades 4 to 8, 2012
- Georgia Children’s Book Award Nominee, 2012
- North Carolina Children’s Book Award Nominee Junior Book, 2011
- Young Hoosier Award Book Nominee, Intermediate, 2012
- Nutmeg Book Award Nominee, Intermediate, 2013
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher Children’s Book Award Nominee, 2011
- Black-Eyed Susan Award Nominee, Grades 4 - 6, 2010-2011
- Capitol Choices, Noteworthy Books for Children and Teens, Recommended 7-10, 2010
- Nene Award Nominee for Children’s Fiction 2011, 2012, 2013 and again in 2014
- Massachusetts Children’s Book Award Nominee 2011 a 2012
- William Allen White Children’s Book Award Nominee grades 3 - 5 years, 2012
- Massachusetts Children’s Book Award Winner for Children and Young Adults, 2010.
- Beehives Award Winner for Fiction, 2011
- Children’s Book Committee Award Winner for fiction, 2010
- Rhode Island Children’s Book Award Nominee for grades 3 through 6, 2011
- Indies Choice Book Award Honor Book for Middle Readers, Middle Readers, 2010
- Cybils Finalist, 2009
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon
- Written by Grace Lin.
- Book 1 of 3
- Published by Little Brown Books for Young Readers, May 13, 2016.
- Ages 9 to 11 years
- 1.0" H x 7.5" L x 5.2" W (0.95 lbs) 278 pages
- Folktales, myths, adventure quest, suspense